Our favorite 4th of July quotes remind us how festive this time is and cause us to reflect on the importance behind the holiday.
It is time to get the grill turned on, break out your favorite patriotic apparel and get those sparklers lit, because it is almost the 4th of July!
What is your favorite part of the 4th of July? Whether it’s the hotdogs, the fireworks or just being with friends and family, we can all find inspirational quotes about the 4th of July that speak to us.
1. “America is another name for opportunity.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
The 4th of July is a great time to reflect on what a unique and special place America is.
Happy 4th of July quotes
This is a land of opportunity, and happy 4th of July quotes remind us of how lucky we are to live here.
It’s an entire day dedicated to celebrating the wonders of our country.
2. “America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.” — President Harry S. Truman
July 4th quotes often reflect on the unique circumstances that led America into existence.
From the Revolutionary War and onward, Americans have always been fiercely independent, and valued justice above all.
3. “Intellectually I know that America is no better than any other country; emotionally I know she is better than every other country.” — Sinclair Lewis
Funny Independence Day quotes
There is no harm in enjoying a few funny Independence Day quotes.
If you plan to give a speech on July 4th, you might want to include some of these, to add a little levity to a day marked by pride and patriotism.
4. “Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of resistance.” — President Woodrow Wilson
Do you plan on sharing Independence Day quotes on your social media pages?
Quotes about the importance of liberty and independence always tend to strike a chord with folks across the large political spectrum.
5. “We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.” — William Faulkner
Freedom isn’t free, and sometimes you must fight for your freedom.
Inspirational Independence Day quotes
Inspirational Independence Day quotes remind will remind you that this fight is always worth fighting, and that in the end, freedom is one of the most precious things any person can possess.
6. “Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country.” — Marquis de Lafayette
The United States was one of the first successful democracies in the history of the world.
If that isn’t inspirational, then what is?
This 4th of July, look for ways you can add more democracy to your life, whether that means voting, canvassing or practicing your right to free speech.
President George Washington
7. “Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.” — President George Washington
In addition to being inspirational, 4th of July quotes can also serve as a window into history of Independence Day.
You have to wonder what was going through George Washington’s mind when he agreed to be the first American president and if he ever could have imagined what would happen after him.
8. “The essence of America—that which really unites us—is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion; it is an idea, and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things. That it doesn’t matter where you came from but where you are going.” — Condoleezza Rice
Some of the best Independence Day quotes point out that in America, you can come from nothing and achieve great success.
Who is your favorite “rags to riches” example of a great American success story?
July 4th and patriotism
9. “True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” — Clarence Darrow
Our troops fight for American ideals overseas; and as inspirational quotes remind you, it is up to you to fight for American ideals on American soil.
No matter what your political beliefs might be, speaking up and getting involved in your local government is a great way to put our democracy to work—and make sure we don’t lose it.
10. “It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them.” — Mark Twain
Some Independence Day quotes point out the humorous hypocrisy of American life.
Are there things you could be doing to help your town, state and country stronger?
If so, what are you waiting for?
4th of July quotes from American presidents
11. “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” — Ronald Reagan
The best 4th of July quotes often come from American presidents.
Regardless of your own political persuasions, there is something inspiring about the fact that so many presidents have said wise words about freedom and democracy.
12. “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are\ life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” — Thomas Jefferson
Do you have any famous Independence Day quotes that strike a chord with you?
Thomas Jefferson was among our most eloquent and consequential founding fathers; in fact, he penned much of the Declaration of Independence.
This is a classic quote that is important all year long, but especially on July 4th.
13. “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” — Benjamin Franklin
Regardless of your job, or where in the country you live, we all have a role to play in keeping our democracy healthy.
These inspirational independence quotes could be just the fuel you need to get more involved with democracy yourself.
Fight for more freedom and a fairer democracy
14. “I’d like to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free and wanted other people to be also free.” — Rosa Parks
Throughout American history, there has always been a fight for more freedom and a fairer democracy.
There are countless Independence Day quotes from heroic civil rights leaders, including Rosa Parks.
We hope you were inspired by the above 4th of July quotes, which are part of our life quotes series.
What are the best 4th of July quotes you know? Share them with us in the comments below to inspire others to find the same positivity you’re working toward!