As betrayal quotes point out, when a person we trust goes behind our back and does something to hurt us, that pain can sting for quite a long time.
Of all the things a human can experience, perhaps nothing else is as emotionally hurtful as betrayal.
But even in the most painful experiences, we can find something to learn and grow from.
If you have recently experienced a deep betrayal, you might find it inspirational to read betrayal quotes about how others have dealt with this hurtful ordeal.
Betrayal by friends stings the worst
1. “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” — William Blake
2. “He who throws away a friend is as bad as he who throws away his life.” — Sophocles
3. “It’s particularly hard to take being stabbed in the back close to home. There’s always a feeling of betrayal when people of your own group oppose you.” — Catharine MacKinnon
If you already don’t particularly like or feel close to a person, it won’t come as any surprise when they do something to hurt you.
But when it’s someone whom you thought was a close friend, it can be extremely painful, as relationship betrayal quotes point out.
And that pain can resonate on an even deeper level when the betrayal comes from our own flesh and blood!
Family betrayal quotes can help you process this extremely difficult time.
Always remember, no matter the pain, in time, you will eventually be able to move on.
Walk away from a betrayal as a stronger person
4. “Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. It’s what unites us. The trick is not to let it destroy your trust in others when that happens. Don’t let them take that from you.” — Sherrilyn Kenyon
5. “Betrayal can be extremely painful, but it’s up to you how much that pain damages you permanently.” — Emily V. Gordon
6. “If you’re betrayed, release disappointment at once. By that way, the bitterness has no time to take root.” — Toba Beta
When you feel betrayed, it is important you take the time to really feel your negative emotions.
Then, once you have properly dealt with your pain, step-by-step try to move on as a stronger person.
Love betrayal quotes remind us that both steps are equally important, no matter who the source of betrayal is.
When a loved one betrays you, you might feel an impulse to bury your pain deep inside you.
Or, you might go the opposite way, and let the anger and hurt consume you for far too long.
Whether it’s a friend, coworker or even a sibling, betrayal quotes illustrate that neither of these reactions is healthy.
Betrayal damages your integrity and humility
7. “When you betray somebody else, you also betray yourself.” — Isaac Bashevis Singer
8. “You can’t betray yourself too often, or you become somebody else.” — Ed Harris
9. “The thorn from the bush one has planted, nourished and pruned pricks more deeply and draws more blood.” — Maya Angelou
Can you think of a time when you were the person who committed betrayal?
We all make mistakes in life.
And while it is important that you make amends and learn from the experience, you cannot punish yourself forever.
Friendship betrayal quotes point out that you can become a better person through the experience.
If you have betrayed a friend before, then perhaps it will be easier to find it in yourself to forgive the friend that betrays you.
Nobody is perfect, and having compassion for those who make mistakes is part of humanity.
Don’t let betrayal taint your trust
10. “It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.” — Confucius
11. “He who advises you to be reserved to your friends wishes to betray you without witnesses.” — Don J. Manuel
12. “False friends are like our shadow, keeping close to us while we walk in the sunshine, but leaving us when we cross into the shade.” — Christian Nevell Bovee
When someone close to you betrays you, it can be easy to lose trust not just in that person, but in everyone around you.
If one friend could hurt you, what’s to stop another friend from doing the same?
But as friend or husband betrayal quotes point out, when you think this way, you are only cheating yourself.
It’s true that you can never know with 100 percent certainty that a person will never hurt you.
But if you never take a leap of faith, you will never experience the joys that come with a close relationship.
Let betrayal quotes remind you of this fact.
Be guarded in who you trust
13. “For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trust first.” — Suzanne Collins
14. “Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie.” — Terry Goodkind
15. “There are only really a few stories to tell in the end, and betrayal and the failure of love is one of those good stories to tell.” — Sean Lennon
While it is important that you be open and willing to trust people, it’s also worth noting that not everyone deserves your trust.
The best betrayal quotes encourage us to hold our trusted friends and family members closely, rather than giving our hearts to just anyone we meet.
Betrayal quotes can also help with catharsis.
It is necessary to feel pain before you can again put your trust in people.
Take the time to grieve for yourself, and grieve your friendship if necessary.
Then, open up to the people you know you can still trust.
Do what you have to, to heal from betrayal properly
16. “Betrayal is never easy to handle and there is no right way to accept it.” — Christine Feehan
17. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” — Shannon L. Alder
18. “Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.” — Mineko Iwasaki
If you are searching for how to get over betrayal quotes, then you have probably experienced one recently.
What you need to know now is that it is okay to feel sad and angry.
Just do not let those emotions define you forever.
People handle betrayal in many ways and quotes can provide the right words and wisdom to get you moving forward on the path to acceptance.
Whether it’s quotes about keeping your guard up, quotes about learning to trust again or even funny betrayal quotes, sometimes all you need to contextualize your situation is some advice from someone who has also experienced and can provide insight into overcoming betrayal.
We hope you were inspired by the above betrayal quotes, which are part of our inspirational life quotes series.
What are the best betrayal quotes you know? Share them with us in the comments below to inspire others to find the same positivity you’re working toward!