Dalai Lama quotes teach us a number of things, ranging from how to navigate the rigors of daily life to inspirational ponderings on the nature of the universe.
One of the world’s preeminent religious leaders, His Holiness the Dalai Lama is a revered spiritual and political figure.
Through immense personal hardships and a number of significant geopolitical changes, the Dalai Lama has continued to share his wisdom and sage advice with the entirety of the world.
Taking a look at some of the Dalai Lama’s most infamous sayings can help us gain insight into the tremendous wisdom and knowledge presented by one of the world’s most infamous religious figures.
1. “This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” — Dalai Lama
Dalai Lama quotes on compassion
Above all else, the Dalai Lama is recognized for his immense compassion and care for the world. Dalai Lama quotes on compassion can teach us the importance of kindness to all those around us, regardless of their background or creed.
While everyone gets in touch with their spiritual side differently, the Dalai Lama teaches us to respect everyone’s beliefs.
2. “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” — Dalai Lama
While it may seem challenging at times, it’s important to recognize that kindness is always attainable. Dalai Lama quotes on compassion teach us that in spite of our nature and circumstances, we’re always able to reach deep within ourselves and display kindness.
3. “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” — Dalai Lama
The Dalai Lama teaches us that the key to our own happiness, and the happiness of those around us, depends on our ability to consistently exercise compassion.
Dalai Lama quotes on happiness and love
Dalai Lama quotes on happiness demonstrate the importance of compassion in everything we do.
4. “In order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision.” — Dalai Lama
There’s nothing more rewarding than carrying out a positive action. Inspirational Dalai Lama quotes teach us about the importance of maintaining a positive frame of mind so that we’re able to bring a net positive to the world at large.
5. “Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.” — Dalai Lama
There’s nothing more important than living a life filled with love and compassion.
Dalai Lama quotes on love are a valuable reminder to us that we can rely on love and compassion to provide us with a life filled with peace, happiness and contentedness, regardless of our station in life.
6. “My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.” — Dalai Lama
While the Dalai Lama is largely known for his important position in the Buddhist tradition, he respects all religious traditions across the world. Dalai Lama quotes on compassion demonstrate His Holiness’ commitment to the ideals of universal life, peace and togetherness.
7. “I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.” — Dalai Lama
Some Dalai Lama quotes teach us that it’s possible to live out a life filled with love, peace and joy, regardless of circumstances.
We can learn from his dedication to happiness, even during days of darkness. Darkness doesn’t have to spell dissatisfaction.
8. “If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.” — Dalai Lama
The Dalai Lama teaches us how to interact with all of those around us
The best Dalai Lama quotes teach us how to interact with all of those around us. While it’s always best to exercise benevolence, it’s not always possible for us to assist the people who may need us.
Even in those circumstances, however, we can still do our best to avoid harming those around us.
9. “In the practice of tolerance, one’s enemy is the best teacher.” — Dalai Lama
Above all else, the Dalai Lama preaches a doctrine of tolerance. While learning tolerance, His Holiness says that we can learn from those who oppose or disagree with us.
Dalai Lama quotes provide us with the insight necessary to exercise love, even toward our enemies.
10. “We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.” — Dalai Lama
Another word of wisdom from the Dalai Lama teaches us that we need to attain inner peace before we attempt to reconcile ourselves with the world at large. Dalai Lama quotes on health can help us see the outer importance of our own inner mental and physical state.
11. “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” — Dalai Lama
The Dalai Lama on determination
Dalai Lama quotes to never give up demonstrate the importance of maintaining our own tenacity and determination.
Even when you think you’re small and insignificant, there’s so much potential for you to affect change and make your voice heard.
12. “Forget the failures. Keep the lessons.” — Dalai Lama
It’s a fact of life that everyone will, at one point or another, experience failure.
If you’re experiencing failure in your career, consider Dalai Lama quotes about work, and the way that they teach us to interact with our careers and the world at large.
13. “There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow. Today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live.” — Dalai Lama
Funny Dalai Lama quotes
Even funny Dalai Lama quotes are dripping in wisdom. We can rely on His Holiness to provide us with a range of entertaining stories, sayings and anecdotes.
So long as you’re understanding the underlying lessons, it’s nice to be able to smile as you’re learning.
14. “We are but visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good, something useful with our lives. If you contribute to other people’s happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life.” — Dalai Lama
The Dalai Lama on life
Finding one’s life mission is a perennial challenge. Dalai Lama quotes on life, however, can help us understand the importance of finding our life’s purpose and obtaining our own happiness.
When you understand your purpose and find your happiness, life becomes brighter and more purposeful, worth living to the fullest.
15. “Through difficult experiences, life sometimes becomes more meaningful.” — Dalai Lama
Dalai Lama quotes on life show us that difficult circumstances don’t have to be negative.
In fact, they can be beneficial!
When you derive meaning from the low points in your life, you learn to appreciate the high points even more.
16. “If your heart has peace, nothing can disturb you.” — Dalai Lama
Dalai Lama quotes are a valuable tool that we can use to obtain our own self-peace and self-satisfaction. When you let peace into your heart and open yourself up to serenity, you’ll distance yourself from the noise and chaos of the world that might drag you down otherwise.
17. “If you don’t love yourself, you cannot love others.” — Dalai Lama
There’s nothing that’s as inspirational as learning to love yourself. Loving yourself will help you learn to love others and improve your interactions with the world.
When you live a life steeped in love, everything about it becomes brighter and more meaningful.
18. “Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” — Dalai Lama
Dalai Lama quotes are a valuable tool that we can use to inform the way we interact with the world at large.
That’s why it’s important to recognize that we, and we alone, control our own inner peace.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama has many wise things to share with the world. Are you listening?
We hope you were inspired by the above Dalai Lama quotes, which are part of our inspirational spirituality quotes series.
What are the best Dalai Lama quotes you know? Share them with us in the comments below to inspire others to find the same positivity you’re working toward!