Friendship quotes help us celebrate these important relationships.
Friendship is a precious thing in life.
Some friends come and go, while others stick around for much of our lives.
But regardless how long a friendship lasts or how often you are able to see each other, every friendship you have will have some positive impact on your life.
Friendship quotes show that life is better with friends by your side
1. “Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing.” — Elie Wiesel
2. “A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.” — Elbert Hubbard
3. “A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they’re not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they’re not so bad.” — Arnold H. Glasgow
The nice thing about friendships is that you don’t have to be perfect in them.
If your friends are in fact friends, then they will accept you for who you are, and actually help you to become a better version of yourself.
If you want to share with a special friend how much they mean to you, researching inspirational friendship quotes is a good place to start.
Sometimes it’s hard to come up with the right words by ourselves, but fortunately, some of the best thinkers throughout history have shared what friendship means to them.
Friends force you to grow
4. “Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you; spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.” — Amy Poehler
5. “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” — William Shakespeare
6. “I don’t need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better.” — Plutarch
Of course, being a good friend doesn’t mean blindly agreeing with everything your friend says and does.
Whether it is as simple as introducing a new book or movie to your friend, or as serious as intervening when you see they are making a crucial mistake, friends help us expand our minds and our hearts.
Inspirational friendship quotes recognize that sometimes the best friends are the ones who are not afraid to tell us we are wrong.
In fact, if you have never had a disagreement with your friend, then you probably are not real friends!
Friendship quotes illustrate that true friends are always there for you
7. “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” — Walter Winchell
8. “I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.” — Helen Keller
9. “Things are never quite as scary when you’ve got a best friend.” — Bill Watterson
Here’s the thing about good friends: while they are never afraid to challenge you when necessary, they will also be loyal to you until the end.
Friendship quotes for her reveal that sometimes the best thing a friend can do is simply provide a shoulder to cry on.
Do you have any favorite true friendship quotes?
If you look at the best friendship quotes out there, you may see a theme that starts to develop: true friends are dedicated, engaged and passionate about your life, just as you are about their lives.
Friendship is built on common ground
10. “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” — C.S. Lewis
11. “One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.” — Lucius Annaeus Seneca
12. “The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.” — Elisabeth Foley
Have you ever thought that nobody in the world understands you?
It’s true that no two people are exactly alike—but when you find a person whose idiosyncrasies sync up with your own, the potential for a truly great friendship exists. Best friend quotes remind us that friendship is in the particulars.
Female friendships are among the most powerful relationships in the world, and friendship quotes for girls can celebrate that intense bond.
Who is the friend that understands you like nobody else?
There’s healing power in friendship
13. “Some people go to priests; others to poetry; I to my friends.” — Virginia Woolf
14. “Friendship is a wildly underrated medication.” — Anna Deavere Smith
15. “Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief.” — Marcus Tullius Cicero
In adult life, it is easy to get caught up in family and work obligations, and to forget to take time to nurture our friendships.
But as friendship quotes and sayings remind us, friendships are necessary to live a full life, and to feel seen and valued.
Do you have a friend who has helped you through a particularly tough time?
If so, you might want to put together a card with some short friendship quotes, and give it to them to show your appreciation.
Your friends are your world
16. “>Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” — Henry David Thoreau
17. “When the world is so complicated, the simple gift of friendship is within all of our hands.” — Maria Shriver
18. “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.“ — Linda Grayson
Do you have any long-distance friendships?
Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, it is possible to stay in close connection with old friends, even if you are not in each others’ physical presence for months or years at a time.
Sharing funny friendship quotes is one way to stay in touch.
When you find that one person who will be your best friend forever, it’s only natural that you will take on a newfound appreciation for best friends forever quotes.
If you and your BFF are separated by physical distance, share these quotes to show them how much they mean to you.
Friendships are worth treasuring, always
19. “There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.” — Diana Cortes
20. “There’s not a word yet for old friends who’ve just met.” — Jim Henson
21. “Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings.” — Miles Franklin
Cute friendship quotes remind us that friendships are among the greatest gifts we receive in our lifetimes.
Whether your best friends are near or far, take some time today to share a friendship quote with them.
True friendship can be hard to find
True friendship can be hard to find, but once you’ve found it, it’s unmistakable.
Take a look at one more quote to see exactly what true friendship looks and feels like:
22. “True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable.” — David Tyson
We hope you were inspired by the above friends quotes, which are part of our life quotes series.
What are the best friends quotes you know? Share them with us in the comments below to inspire others to find the same positivity you’re working toward!