If you’re trying to find zen but just can’t, it might be a smart idea to start with a few meditation quotes.
Meditation is a calming and focusing of the mind that pushes out all the clutter in your brain, forcing you to focus on the singular you: Your breathing, your body and your mind.
Meditation can be hard for many because it’s a patient practice. Calmness and serenity don’t wash over you in seconds—it’s a slow progression that manifests with focus.
1. “Quiet the mind, and the soul will speak.” — Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati
Reading wise, inspirational sayings can give you a gateway into the state of mind you should be striving for and seeking.
Those who have mastered meditation can help you find your own peaceful, spiritual plane by giving you instruction through their words of advice.
Here are some of the best quotes about what meditation is and how to understand it, so you can achieve it.
Meditation quotes help return to homeostasis
2. “Meditation makes the entire nervous system go into a field of coherence.” — Deepak Chopra
3. “The thing about meditation is: You become more and more you.” — David Lynch
4. “The body benefits from movement, and the mind benefits from stillness.” — Sakyong Mipham
Achieving meditation starts by understanding what it is and how it works for your mind and body.
The best meditation quotes paint a picture of what’s happening when you meditate. Your body becomes still, your mind becomes clear and you mellow into a state of being that’s calm and whole.
Everything communicates freely and openly within you, and you’re able to truly listen to your body tell you how it feels and what it needs.
It’s a return to homeostasis—but more than that, it’s a return to normalcy and a sense of wellbeing.
It only takes short meditation quotes for a person to realize that there’s no mysterious secret to meditation! There’s only you and your body: All you need to do is listen and you’ll learn everything you need to.
Meditation brings quiet
5. “Half an hour’s meditation each day is essential, except when you are busy. Then a full hour is needed.” — Saint Francis de Sales
6. “Meditation is one of the ways in which the spiritual man keeps himself awake.” — Thomas Merton
7. “Sleep is the best meditation.” — Dalai Lama
The reason meditation is so powerful is because it puts us in touch with something we rarely get to experience in today’s world: Quiet.
Even when you lay down to sleep at night, you might not always have the perfect quiet that comes with a calm mind.
Positive meditation quotes shine a light on true quiet: The ability to block out all noise and hear only what you need to—what your body is trying to tell you.
Even funny meditation quotes show us how rare it is these days to truly find quiet.
On days when the phone won’t stop ringing, cars won’t stop honking, people won’t stop talking and the dog won’t stop barking, being able to sneak just 30 minutes of quiet time to listen to your inner self can seem like an impossible task.
Luckily, part of mastering meditation is learning to block out the static noise that doesn’t matter.
Problems become clearer
8. “Meditation is meeting eternity in the present moment. It is resolving every problem as it comes. It is resolving every tension as it creeps in. It is facing the challenges of life in a non-fearful way.” — Vimala Thakar
9. “Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.” — Buddha
10. “Meditation can help us embrace our worries, our fear, our anger; and that is very healing. We let our own natural capacity of healing do the work.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
When you meditate, you become focused on yourself.
You can feel everything your body is try to tell you and hear everything bouncing around inside your own head.
And, as you do, you begin to learn how to quell and quiet even these things.
Meditation quotes for stress encourage us to recognize what ails us and gently soothe ourselves.
Meditation isn’t about fixing all of your problems—it’s about taking a time to quiet them, so that when the time does come to face them, you can do so with a clear mind and a fresh perspective, with invigorated energy.
Meditation is healing
There are so many popular meditation quotes because meditation is healing.
Many people who have been skeptical of meditation have tried it for themselves and come to find it gives them strength.
Being able to master your anxieties and fears for a short time shows your ability to overcome them, and when you know you have the power to overcome them, they can’t control you.
Meditation may be a simple exercise, but it has powerful results.
Desire and goals come into focus
11. “When you have achieved a state of deep meditation, you unlock the door to your subconscious mind. That is where the power to create the life you desire lies.” — Adrian Calabrese
12. “The goal of meditation is not to get rid of thoughts or emotions. The goal is to become more aware of your thoughts and emotions and learn how to move through them without getting stuck.” — Dr. P. Goldin
13. “Meditation is the soul’s perspective glass.” — Owen Feltham
What happens when your fears and anxieties shrink away for a time?
Inspirational meditation quotes teach us that desires and goals creep back into the vacant slot where they left.
When we take the time to focus on ourselves and shut out the noise that’s overwhelming us and keeping us back, it’s easier to see the things that have been obfuscated: Like our hopes, dreams, goals and wishes.
Meditation quotes aren’t a golden panacea
You might even realize that you’ve been living with doubt for so long that it’s all you know now!
Meditation quotes aren’t a golden panacea for vanquishing doubt and restoring you or self-confidence, but meditation itself can be a powerful tool in helping you regain your foothold on the life you want to live.
Meditation is a form of healing and awakening.
It can help us open our eyes to what’s happening in the world around us, and when we do, it’s easier to take action and live the life we want to live:
14. “We try many ways to be awake, but our society still keeps us forgetful. Meditation is to help us remember. — Thich Nhat Hanh
We hope you were inspired by the above quotes on meditation, which are part of our inspiring quotes series.
What are the best meditation quotes you know? Share them with us in the comments below to inspire others to find the same positivity you’re working toward!