Reading through broken family quotes can help you understand the family quarrels that have defined the lives of some of the world’s wisest people.
When you’re struggling to reconnect with your loved ones, look to words of wisdom to understand the best way you can carry your relationships forward into the future.
Broken family quotes can help quarrels that can be as old as time itself
1. “Family quarrels are bitter things. They don’t go according to any rules. They’re not like aches or wounds, they’re more like splits in the skin that won’t heal because there’s not enough material.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
Ancient history, literature, and art are full of tales of broken families and angry relatives. When you spend a lot of time with someone who shares many of your personality traits, it’s almost guaranteed you’ll eventually run into challenges!
But even in the midst of family strife, you can be inspired and comforted by reading through quotes that will help you realize you are not alone, and conflict is not unique to your family.
When you’re fighting with your family members, it’s important to remember that bad times don’t erase all of the good moments you’ve shared in the past.
If you’re struggling to get along with your loved ones, try to re-contextualize your differences in light of the positive experiences you’ve had together.
Recognize family problems so healing can begin
2. “In families you can find the source of every human drama. It is interesting because the cell of a society, the cell of a country, the cell of humanity – everything lies in the family.” — Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
3. “Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it’s the place where we find the deepest heartache.” — Iyanla Vanzant
Sometimes, there are longstanding problems that exist within the family unit. If you’re struggling with your loved ones, you need to begin the healing process by identifying the problem that’s affecting your relationship.
Once you confront this problem on a personal level, you’ll be ready to address its reality with your family members.
Confronting problems with your loved ones is both challenging and frightening. If you’re wondering how to approach this monumental task, look for hope in a few inspirational broken family quotes. It’s important to understand that most people, at some point, have been down the same road as you.
Family communication is key
4. “Any problem, big or small, within a family, always seems to start with bad communication. Someone isn’t listening.” — Emma Thompson
5. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” — Robert Frost
If you’re not communicating clearly and effectively with your family members, it’s going to be impossible to make amends. Communication is always the most important aspect of virtually any relationship.
Reading through a few quotes about family struggles can help you learn how to talk with your loved ones more effectively. Once you understand the best way to move forward in your relationships with your relatives, you’ll be able to resolve conflicts more effectively.
Open discussion takes a lot of hard work and trust from all parties involved. It’s always worthwhile, however. Learning how to effectively talk about problems with your relatives will allow you to improve your communication skills across your life.
Don’t let family disagreements cause long lasting rifts
6. “You can close your eyes to the things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to the things you don’t want to feel.” — Johnny Depp
7. “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” — Helen Keller
No matter how strong of a bond you share with your relatives, disagreements are bound to arise. Politics, religion, and relationships are often sources of division among family members.
Many people dread the holiday season because they are afraid of the fights that will happen over different opinions. If you learn how to take disagreements of your views less personally, however, you can enjoy civil discourse and strengthened family bonds.
It’s important to realize that you can disagree with your loved ones and not allow it to affect the quality of your relationship. Quotes about family issues teach us that even the most serious disagreements aren’t worth severing family ties over.
Unresolved problems only get worse
8. “A bend in the road is not the end of the road… Unless you fail to make the turn.” — Helen Keller
9. “Being positive doesn’t mean ignoring the negative. Being positive means overcoming the negative. There’s a big difference between the two.” — Marc and Angel
If you don’t address your family’s relationship problems head-on, they will only continue to develop and grow worse. The longer you go without communicating with your loved ones, the harder and more awkward it will be to put in the necessary effort to reconcile with them later.
Broken family quotes provide us with valuable, necessary insight that we can use to strengthen our relationships with our families and get over unresolved disagreements.
Learn from your past fights
10. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” — Socrates
11. “In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.” — Buddha
12. “Deep inside us, we know what every family therapist knows: the problems between the parents become the problems within the children.” — Roger Gould
Chances are, you’ve found yourself fighting with a family member at least once or twice before. Thankfully, you can use these unpleasant interactions as a learning experience.
Any past arguments that you’ve engaged in with your relatives should be treated as cautionary tales. You can learn from your past fights to improve your existing relationships.
Quotes about family drama teach us that family feuds are common and recurring. This means we have to be consistently willing to learn from our past mistakes and overcome our pride in order to improve our relationships.
Forgive your loved ones
13. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” — Mark Twain
14. “Forgive, forget. Bear with the faults of others as you would have them bear with yours. Be patient and understanding. Life is too short to be vengeful or malicious.” — Phillips Brooks
Forgiveness should always be the ultimate goal when you are trying to reconnect with your family after a fight. It’s not easy, especially when the wounds are deep. Read through a few healing a broken family quotes to learn ways that others have approached their familial problems, and worked through even the most challenging relationship struggles.
Regardless of the issues you are facing with your family members, it’s always worth overcoming your pride and forgiving your loved ones. Doing so allows our own wounds to heal.
We hope you were inspired and comforted by reading through the above broken family quotes, which are part of our family quotes series.
What are the best broken family quotes you know? Share them with us in the comments below to inspire others to find the same positivity you’re working toward!