These incredible and inspirational Gandhi quotes continue to be relevant today, even through the tremendous social and culture changes since Gandhi’s time.
Indian independence leader, spiritual figure and philosopher Mahatma Gandhi was one of the world’s most significant thinkers.
Living through and shaping one of the most turbulent periods of the 20th century, Gandhi shaped the destiny of modern India and changed the way that we think about the world.
Gandhi quotes for inspiration
Today, Mahatma Gandhi quotes continue to provide us with insight and inspiration.
We can look to the wise words of this inspirational man to learn more about ourselves, the world at large and our own personal place within the universe.
1. “When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi quotes about life teach us that it’s always important to look to nature to find satisfaction and beauty in life.
We can always depend on the wonders of the natural world to help us get in touch with the spiritual aspects of life.
2. “Prayer is the key of the morning and the bolt of the evening.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Devotion to his spiritual life and his commitment to meditation set Gandhi apart from other political leaders.
It’s inspirational to learn about the way that prayer and other spiritual practices informed Gandhi’s life.
3. “Where there is love there is life.” — Mahatma Gandhi
There’s nothing more important to our personal health and satisfaction than love—the love of ourselves, our friends, family members and everyone around us.
Gandhi quotes on love teach us about the importance of maintaining a mindset of love in our daily lives.
4. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Forgiveness is a core tenet of Gandhi’s approach to life. Mahatma Gandhi quotes teach us that above all else, we have to learn how to love, forgive and approach each day and every situation with compassion and kindness.
Forgiveness can help us show how strong we truly are.
Gandhi on life
5. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Continuing education informed Gandhi throughout his life. We, too, can benefit from becoming lifelong scholars.
Mahatma Gandhi quotes on education help us understand the importance of continuing to learn throughout our entire lives.
6. “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Inspirational Gandhi quotes teach us that we should derive pleasure and satisfaction from the efforts we expend on our endeavors, rather than the end results alone.
When we learn how to appreciate our efforts, we can enjoy our lives more fully.
7. “Action expresses priorities.” — Mahatma Gandhi
While talking about the things that are important to us certainly has its place, Gandhi quotes teach us that nothing speaks louder than actions.
We should remember that we can express our true priorities by acting.
What matters most
While words are powerful, nothing is more significant and important than taking action on the things that matter to us the most.
8. “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.” — Mahatma Gandhi
The best Gandhi quotes remind us that world-shattering events don’t always come in the form of large social changes.
Sometimes, a simple act of kindness is all that we need to impact the lives of those around us.
9. “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi quotes show us the importance of safeguarding our own minds and consciousness from negative feelings and unpleasant thoughts.
Inviting beauty and kindness into our lives is the best way to improve our interactions with the world.
10. “Peace is its own reward.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi on peace
Gandhi is remembered, above all else, as a devotee of peace.
Gandhi quotes on peace teach us that no matter how dire situations may seem, there’s always a way to resolve our differences and disagreements peacefully and amicably.
11. “The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi quotes be the change demonstrate the way that we can change our world for the better.
We can use love and compassion to bring peace and harmony to the world at large.
Gandhi demonstrated this best by his life, and leaves his words and legacy behind to teach us how to move forward as we work together to change the world.
12. “Practice as if you are the worst, perform as if you are the best.” — Mahatma Gandhi
It’s always inspirational to learn that the world’s wisest also struggled with feelings of inferiority at times.
Gandhi was no exception—that’s why his words often tell us that we can work together to demonstrate our own individual power.
13. “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi was a tremendous leader
He showed India the way toward independence and united his people under a banner of love, peace and a common cause.
Mahatma Gandhi quotes on leadership emphasize the importance of becoming a servant-leader, showing us that truly great leaders lay down their own interests in service of the common good.
14. “Our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as in being able to remake ourselves.” — Mahatma Gandhi
When we strive to improve ourselves, we are changing the world around us.
We can depend on Gandhi quotes to teach us the best way to move forward as we look for ways that we can improve our own lives and become a more powerful force for good in the world at large.
Looking at Gandhi’s words of wisdom can help us improve ourselves, our relationship with those we love, and with the world around us.
The teachings of Mahatma Gandhi continue to inspire people even today.
We hope you were inspired by the above Gandhi quotes, which are part of our spirituality quotes series.
What are the best Gandhi quotes you know? Share them with us in the comments below to inspire others to find the same positivity you’re working toward!