You don’t need to wait for Mother’s Day to roll around each year to show your mom how much she means to you. Instead, reflect upon some mom quotes and use them to put your admiration into words, so you can tell your own mother how much she truly means to you!
1. “Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world, a mother’s love is not.” — James Joyce
Regardless of who we are, what we look like or where we come from, we all have something very important in common: we all have a mother!
They raise us from infancy and shape us into the people we become, and even long after we’ve grown up and moved out, our mom is still the person who has the most profound effect on our lives. It’s not an understatement to say that your mom is the most important person in the world!
Mom quotes for an amazing women
When you think about just how much she does and what she has to go through, it’s easy to see how amazing your mom truly is.
Table of Contents
Take a look at some of the wisest, most inspirational mother quotes out there, focused on some of the things that make your mom a truly special individual:
Mothers are selfless
Mom is always there for you
Sometimes she needs support too
Mothers teach their daughters
Mom’s raise their sons
Motherhood makes you stronger
…but sometimes mom just needs a break!
The bond between mother and child is unbreakable
A mother’s love is pure and unadulterated
Let your mother know you love her
When you’re done reading through these meaningful mother quotes, be sure to take a moment to express your thankfulness for your own mom. Whether it’s through one of these quotes or a heartfelt expression of your own words, she deserves to hear how thankful you are for her and how much she means to you!
2. “The natural state of motherhood is unselfishness. When you become a mother, you are no longer the center of your own universe. You relinquish that position to your children.” — Jessica Lange
3. “Motherhood is a choice you make everyday, to put someone else’s happiness and well-being ahead of your own, to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing even when you’re not sure what the right thing is…and to forgive yourself, over and over again, for doing everything wrong.” — Donna Ball
4. “Mothers give up so much, so that their children can have so much.” — Catherine Pulsifer
The most inspirational mom quotes are the ones that illustrate how selfless she is. Moms put themselves through all sorts of turmoil for their children—from carrying them for 9 months and birthing them or spending years anxiously awaiting adoption, to raising them into adulthood.
Nothing quite compares to the rigors of being a mother and through it all, a mom asks for nothing in return. All she wants is for her children to be happy and healthy, and a force for good in the world.
There’s nothing more selfless than love from mom. Love quotes about mom show us just how powerful of a force love can be when it’s given unconditionally.
Your mom will love you selflessly, which means she’ll do anything for you if you need it. No one else offers up this level of altruism.
Mothers are so selfless that they often go without, just so their kids can have.
She’ll forgo her own pleasures and happiness so that her kids can experience them instead—buying you new school clothes instead of getting herself anything new or sending you to camp instead of putting that money towards something for her.
Whether it’s money, time, or emotional attention, moms are known for passing it on. The most amazing thing about this selflessness is that it’s ingrained; often, she doesn’t even think twice about it!
5. “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” — Washington Irving
6. “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; a mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes
7. “Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.” — Eric Fromm
Friends come and go, but mom will always be there for you. In fact, nothing holds quite so steadfast as the support given by a mother. There’s no shortage of inspirational mom quotes, birthday and holiday included, that show us all the special events our moms are present for.
In fact, when you look at your life from an overhead view, it’s hard to find times in your life when your mom isn’t standing by to support you. Whether it’s a happy occasion or a heartbreaking one, count on mom to be there for you. It’s truly inspirational.
Even late in life, when your mom passes on, she’s still there for you in spirit. Everything she’s taught you, everything you’ve been through and all of the accomplishments you’ve had—they’re all marked by her.
Your mom leaves a lasting impression on your life that transcends her physical being.
8. “[Motherhood is] the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force. It’s huge and scary—it’s an act of infinite optimism.” — Gilda Radner
9. “There’s a feeling sometimes in motherhood that you’re alone in what you’re going through, and none of us are alone. We’re all going through the same thing.” — Nia Vardalos
10. “I want my children to have all the things I couldn’t afford. Then I want to move in with them.” — Phyllis Diller
Just because mom is always there for you doesn’t mean she doesn’t need her own support! When times get tough, Mom’s bear the burden of everyone’s problems. As a result, there are times when the family needs to band together to give mom a little leeway and help her through her own struggles.
We always hear famous mother quotes about how strong mom is, but it’s important to remember that strong doesn’t mean invincible. Just as she cares for you, you need to care for your mom. When she’s tired or sick or downtrodden, be there for her and pick her up, just like she’d support you.
Supporting your mom doesn’t always mean being there for her in trying times, either. It means spending time with her just because or giving her a good laugh with some funny mother daughter quotes.
Despite their superhuman strength, moms are mortal just like us, which means they need all of the emotional interactions we do. Remember everything your mom has done for you and remember to do the same for her.
11. “A mother who radiates self-love and self-acceptance actually vaccinates her daughter against low self-esteem.” — Naomi Wolf
12. “A daughter is a mother’s gender partner, her closest ally in the family confederacy, an extension of herself. And mothers are their daughters’ role model, their biological and emotional road map, the arbiter of all their relationships.” — Victoria Secunda
Moms have a special bond with daughters because often, those daughters will grow up to be mothers themselves. For this reason, mom becomes a role model and an anchor for many girls.
There are many ‘I love you mom’ quotes from daughter that show the powerful connection that occurs between a girl and her mom.
It’s important to recognize how much this relationship means and how much it can impact young women to have a positive, strong role model like mom in their lives.
Inspirational Mom quotes from daughters also give girls the opportunity to thank their mothers for teaching them the lessons of life—everything from how to do their hair, to how to face the adversities of being a woman.
The right words can encapsulate the gratitude of young girls, adolescents and grown women alike, to let mom know she’s doing a great job in teaching her daughter how to succeed in life.
13. “There has never been, nor will there ever be, anything quite so special as the love between the mother and a son.” — Anonymous
14. “There is an endearing tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart.” — Washington Irving
We tend to think of the contributions of fathers when it comes to sons, but it’s important not to overlook the role mom plays in raising a son. Mothers keep sons in check, even when they’re being rambunctious and troublesome!
Mom is always standing by to mend scrapes and cuts, provide a snack or lay down the rules when sons are fighting. Many mom quotes from son reflect on how mom is tolerant of the trouble a young boy can cause!
Mom also instills important lessons in growing boys that they’ll take with them throughout the rest of their lives.
Learning to respect women, be honest, appreciate rules and more all comes from the teachings of mom—and they’re lessons not soon forgotten.
Mom might be firm when it comes to reprimanding you, but it’s only because she wants to make sure you’re learning important lessons that will help you grow up to be a thoughtful, considerate, respectful man.
15. “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” — Honore de Balzac
16. “Dan clung to her in speechless gratitude, feeling the blessedness of mother love, — that divine gift which comforts, purifies, and strengthens all who seek it.” — Louisa May Alcott, Jo’s Boys
There are plenty of being a mom quotes that don’t mince words when it comes to describing the difficulty motherhood brings with it. It’s not easy being a mom!
But, with all of the issues and problems moms endure throughout the lives of their children, there’s a powerful strength that’s born through it all.
Moms learn to endure, persevere and stay strong no matter what the situation is. They’re unflappable and poised, even in the face of adversity. No one is quite so stoic as a mother.
This inspirational level of bravery and stability comes from being responsible for someone else’s well being.
Throughout life, moms will go through ups and downs just like everyone else. But they’ll also hit the high points and the low points even harder than others. This is because they’re deeply connected to their children—experiencing the same emotions at a higher intensity.
When her child is hurt, a mother grieves.
When they’re happy, mom is elated.
When they face adversity, mom becomes an unrelenting force for positivity.
No matter the emotion, mom is sure to experience it at the highest intensity. This inevitably makes her stronger, since she has to cope with the rawness and realness of pure emotions.
17. “If your kids are giving you a headache, follow the directions on the aspirin bottle, especially the part that says ‘keep away from children.’” — Susan Savannah
18. “Being a mom has made me so tired. And so happy.” — Tina Fey
Despite her strength and perseverance, mom needs a break every now and again.
It’s important for her to re-energize and regain her stamina, so she can fight new battles tomorrow and carry the burden that comes with motherhood just a little further with each new day.
Whether it’s being able to lock herself in the bathroom for a good soak or just being able to take a 20-minute nap, giving mom the break she needs can make all the difference in her health and well-being.
Some of the best I love you mom quotes are all about giving mom a break. Letting her take some time to herself or better yet, take time out of your life to show mom a good time can go a long way towards helping her recuperate.
Think about it. For the first few years of a child’s life, mom spends most of her time caring for you and all basic needs.
After that, there are so many duties when it comes to school, friends, and navigating the waters of more complex emotions (including the hormone years!).
Even when all of her kids are grown up, she needs to be there for them emotionally.
From the moment she gives birth or holds her newly adopted child, mom’s life gets a whole lot more complicated—it’s no wonder she needs a rest now and then!
Even if you’re just reading her a few funny mom quotes, allowing mom to relax for a few minutes will give her a chance to recharge her batteries and get back to her life with new vigor and energy.
19. “Mothers and their children are in a category all their own. There’s no bond so strong in the entire world. No love so instantaneous and forgiving.” — Gail Tsukiyama
20. “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” — Barbara Kingsolver
21. “Having children just puts the whole world into perspective. Everything else just disappears.” — Kate Winslet
A Nature study confirms that being pregnant leads to long lasting changes in a new mother’s brain, so that she can better connect with her children.
Pregnant women lose gray matter in their brains—and this process helps them figure out what other people need and feel.
The identity of a mother is so deeply rooted in her children that it forges a bond that cannot be broken. A mother is always a mother – no matter how far away her children are, who they become or what happens in life.
Whether it’s a mother’s words to her son or mother quotes to daughter, the wisdom and lessons of a mother to her children are what define this bond.
Moms spend so much of their lives helping their children grow and develop that it becomes part of who they themselves are.
A mother who teaches compassion to her children is a compassionate mother.
If she teaches piety, she’s pious.
If her lessons are about respect and responsibility, she is, herself, respectful and responsible.
All of these things make mom who she is and shape her children into the people they will become, all while serving as the bond that connects them.
Few things in this world are as inspirational as the duty of a mother in raising her children and the bond that results from this act is unlike any other that’s able to be forged throughout a person’s life.
22. “All the forces on this planet, will never beat that of a mother’s love.” — Elle Smith
23. “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” — Robert Browning
At the end of the day, even despite all of the best mom quotes, one word best describes the profound nature of a mother: loving.
Everything a mother does is for love—love of her children, love of her family, love of her duties and her own life.
Love is what compels her to teach her children virtuous lessons and what drives her to be fearless and selfless when it comes to her kids.
Love is what makes a mother – a mother!
Quotes about mother’s love are some of the most inspirational, because they speak to the nature of the most powerful force in the world. A mother’s love cannot be stopped and can accomplish just about anything. It’s pure and beautiful, yet strong and resilient.
It’s a love unmatched by anything else in the world and for good reason: because it’s unconditional and altruistic, like nothing else can be.
When’s the last time you told your mother you loved her?
The last time you took time out of your day to call her? Spent the day with her? It doesn’t matter if it was just yesterday—she deserves to know right now how much she means to you.
Your mom has dedicated a huge portion of her life to raising you and making sure you have everything you need to be happy, healthy and successful in your own life.
Make sure you’re taking the appropriate time to thank her. This means more than saying ‘Thank you Mom!” every now and then—it means spending quality time with her and doing things that make her proud.
Whether it’s volunteering and showing others the respect that comes with being raised right or writing a few short mom quotes in a letter and mailing home to her, taking the time to recognize your mom will mean the world to her!
We hope you were inspired by the above inspirational quotes for Moms, which are part of our family quotes series.
What are the best inspirational Mom quotes you know? Share them with us in the comments below to inspire others to find the same positivity you’re working toward!