Regardless of faith, Jesus quotes can show anyone the power of being compassionate and having empathy, and love towards all.
It doesn’t matter which religion you’re part of or what beliefs you hold—there’s no denying that Jesus is one of the most inspirational figures of all time.
His role in the bible and lasting wisdom shaped not only the lives of his disciples, but millions and millions of others throughout history.
Take a look at some of Jesus’ wisest words and most important teachings. It’s easy to see why his words have survived history for so long and continue to be so powerful today.
1. “Love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike.” — Jesus Christ, Matthew 5:43-47
The bible is chock-full of inspirational Jesus quotes because it is (in part) the story of his life.
Jesus quotes that show the importance of his teachings
Jesus lived a life that continues to be an example to Christians today—one of compassion and altruism.
He laid the groundwork for what it means to be a good Christian and his teachings instill a deep sense of self in many who read the bible.
Even this quote, about loving your enemies, is a prime example of the importance of his teachings.
2. “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.” — Jesus Christ, Luke 11:9-10
Two of Jesus’ most important lessons are perseverance and thankfulness. His story is one of perseverance—constantly showing faith and temperament in the face of so many who belittled and doubted him.
Likewise, thank you Jesus quotes teach us to be grateful for all we’re given in life, especially in spite of the hardships that face us.
Quotes like this one are symbolic of the give and take we’ll all experience in life.
We just need to remember—as Jesus taught—to give far more than we take.
3. “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” — Jesus Christ, Matthew 5:16
Jesus Christ quotes on faith like this one are meant to renew our faith in a higher power.
Jesus has long since ascended into the Kingdom of Heaven—today, we need to seek our own path in the world, guided by the power of our own faith.
Reflecting on quotes like this one, we’re meant to understand and embrace the power of faith and its ability to serve as a compass for our hearts and actions.
4. “Don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” — Jesus Christ, Matthew 6:34
Short Jesus quotes like this one offer a simple lesson: Live in the now.
Jesus and faith
When we give ourselves over to faith, we stop worrying about what tomorrow will bring and start focusing on what we have in front of us today.
Look at what good you can do today or what progress you can achieve!
Or, if you’re facing a struggle, be reminded that it may not be there tomorrow and that your strife is only temporary.
This lesson is one to be reminded of each and every day, because it’s one we’re all bound to learn from.
5. “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.” — Jesus Christ, Matthew 7:12
The very best Jesus Christ quotes are ones like this, which teach us compassion directly.
Throughout life we will be wronged and accosted, taken advantage of and used by people who may not ever seek atonement for their sins.
Instead of allowing malice into our hearts, we must be reminded of the Golden Rule: To treat others as we want to be treated, even if that’s not always how we are treated.
When we project goodness into the world, eventually we’ll reap what we sew—whether it’s from another’s good deed or someday when we too reach the Kingdom of Heaven.
6. “Life is not a straight line leading from one blessing to the next and then finally to heaven. Life is a winding and troubled road. Switchback after switchback. And the point of biblical stories like Joseph and Job and Esther and Ruth is to help us feel in our bones (not just know in our heads) that God is for us in all these strange turns. God is not just showing up after the trouble and cleaning it up. He is plotting the course and managing the troubles with far-reaching purposes for our good and for the glory of Jesus Christ.” ― John Piper
Some of the most inspirational quotes about Jesus aren’t directly from him, but from others who have studied and imitated him.
Philosophers and reverends who believe in the power of Jesus’ teachings
Philosophers and reverends who believe in the power of Jesus’ teachings have taken the time to illuminate them and distill them for all to learn.
No matter who you are, what your beliefs or what life has in store for you, it’s possible to internalize the teachings of Jesus Christ by simply paying attention to those who follow in his footsteps.
7. “A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act.” — Mahatma Gandhi
Many people who have been most inspired by Jesus Christ are the ones we have come to associate with him—figures history will put on the same inspirational echelon.
Gandhi is one of these people.
He lived his life in emulation of Jesus’ teachings and because of this, helped to inspire more people to understand and internalize these lessons.
He was not the Son of God, but he is absolutely a modern disciple, who left the world with more goodness than was there when he entered it.
8. “No man ever loved like Jesus. He taught the blind to see and the dumb to speak. He died on the cross to save us. He bore our sins. And now God says, Because He did, I can forgive you.” — Billy Graham
Today’s pastors and preachers extol Jesus quotes
Today’s pastors and preachers extol Jesus quotes during their sermons for a very simple reason: They’re easy enough for anyone to understand.
As humans, we understand right from wrong and good from bad because that’s what we’re taught as children.
As we grow up, we learn that these values emanated from Jesus and that today, each time we go to church or listen to a man of God speak, we’re hearing these values reaffirmed.
9. “The word Christianity is already a misunderstanding — in reality there has been only one Christian, and he died on the Cross.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
Inspirational quotes like these truly contextualize the life that Jesus lead.
To say that no other human person can ever achieve the level of faultlessness that Jesus did is an understatement—there will never be another Son of God.
But Jesus wasn’t meant to be held up and anointed as a deity; he was meant to be an example of what’s possible when we devote ourselves entirely to living a Christian life.
10. “or those who love, nothing is too difficult, especially when it is done for the love of our Lord Jesus Christ.” — Saint Ignatius
Jesus quotes about love show us that regardless of who we are, the love of Jesus is meant for us—meant to give us the strength to be better in our own lives.
We may feel frustrated, angry or slighted by something that happened to us in life, but it’s only because we’re human.
For these times, we can reflect on Jesus’ love for us to bring us back to a place of clarity and honor. Jesus’ love is a grounding force and something we all benefit from.
11. “Truth, according to the Christian faith, is God’s love for us in Jesus Christ. Therefore, truth is a relationship.” — Pope Francis
Jesus loved every person
Jesus loved every person, because God loved Jesus. As we reflect on this, it’s inspirational to know that our love of Jesus connects us directly with the love of God.
When we open ourselves up to learning the teachings of Jesus Christ, we also open ourselves up to God.
This is the foundation of our spirituality and the pathway to eternal life. And it all starts with Jesus!
12. “When we speak of faith – the faith that can move mountains – we are not speaking of faith in general but of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.” — Russell M. Nelson
All Jesus quotes have something in common: They strive to connect us with this man and the lessons he has left us from his earthly time.
When we think about faith and strive to be true to our beliefs, it means being true to those teachings and, in turn, accepting of Jesus Christ as our savior.
His teachings are more than just the blueprint for living a good Christian life, they’re the key to our eternal life in heaven.
The teachings of Jesus Christ have lived on for centuries—and for good reason! Reflect upon these Jesus quotes to fill yourself with the wisdom of his teachings.
We hope you were inspired by the above Jesus quotes, which are part of our inspirational spiritual quotes series.
What are the best quotes about Jesus you know? Share them with us in the comments below to inspire others to find the same positivity you’re working toward!