Do you have any light quotes you turn to in times of darkness?
Of course, most light quotes are not about literal lightness and darkness (as in day and night).
Instead, they are used as metaphors for good times and bad times, struggle and joy.
1. “It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
Thinking about when lightness has entered your life, and where you can consistently find lightness today, can be inspiration to many.
While they are relatively simple concepts, once you start thinking about things in terms of lightness and darkness, they can help you realize what you do and do not want in your life.
Take a look at some of the symbolic examples of light and dark in your life and how finding the right words to contextualize them can help you better cope with the ups and downs you’re sure to experience.
Light quotes help in times of darkness
2. “It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.” — Aristotle
3. “Light is to darkness what love is to fear; in the presence of one the other disappears.” — Marianne Williamson
4. “Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.” — Desiderius Erasmus
Inspirational light quotes remind us that the best way to drive out darkness is to shine our own light on things.
If you are dealing with a difficult person or a frightening situation, doing your best to offer love, compassion and selflessness can help lessen the darkness and bring in some light.
Think of it like lighting a candle in a dark room—when you introduce your own light, things seem a little less frightening or overwhelming.
Quotes about light and dark also remind us that they can be used as perfect metaphors.
While darkness represents fear, hatred and uncertainty – light is all about love, confidence and truth.
What can you do to shine a light in a dark area today? How can you bring positivity, love and compassion into a situation that lacks them?
Light outshines everything else
5. “Light must come from inside. You cannot ask the darkness to leave; you must turn on the light.” — Sogyal Rinpoche
6. “In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.” — Sir Francis Bacon
7. “When you possess light within, you see it externally.” — Anais Nin
You have probably heard the famous Gandhi quote, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
The best light quotes offer a similar sentiment: if you want to improve a person or situation, the best place to start is with yourself.
Align your own intentions and focus on what you can do to lessen a trying experience, or bring joy to a sad or difficult person.
When you manifest your own light, others are sure to reap the benefit of its gleam.
Quotes on brightness also remind us that deep down, everyone wants the same thing: To love and be loved, and to live in the light.
By volunteering and being kind to the lowliest members of our society, you can help lessen the darkness in the world.
The more people project light outward, the brighter the world gets and the more the darkness is kept at bay.
Share your light with others and bask in theirs
8. “It’s not necessary to blow out your neighbor’s light to let your own shine.” — M.R. Dehaan
9. “At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.” — Albert Schweitzer
10. “As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.” — Mary Anne Radmacher
Of course, nobody can stay positive and act charitably 100 percent of the time, as no human is perfect.
If you are lucky, you will have a friend, significant other or family member who can step in when darkness pervades your own life, and offer that light that you so desperately need.
Every person needs a support system and when you find yours, you’ll feel the warmth of your collective light even on the darkest, coldest days.
Candle light quotes offer us another metaphor: The idea that each of us has a “candle,” or unique sense of light and love, that we can use to help improve others’ lives.
Can you think of some loved ones who have shared their light with you? Who have you shared yours with recently?
These are the people whom you should keep close to you in life.
In their times of need, tip your candle towards them and help them reignite their own wick, so they too can burn bright.
Spread light throughout the world
11. “There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” — Edith Wharton
12. “Travel light, live light, spread the light, be the light.” — Yogi Bhajan
13. “Give light and people will find the way.” — Ella Baker
Some of us need a reminder that in our darkest times, there is always light at the end of the tunnel.
For others, a prompt to share our own light with the world is a valuable lesson.
And for some, love and light quotes give us the opportunity to reflect on those who have shared their light with us.
The more people who recognize and harness their ability to bring light into the world, the brighter it is for everyone.
Remember that light needs a source of fuel.
Be the wick that keeps lighting burning, but make sure to always care for yourself:
14. “What is to give light must endure the burning.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
We hope you were inspired by the above light quotes, which are part of our spiritual quotes series.
What are the best quotes about light you know? Share them with us in the comments below to inspire others to find the same positivity you’re working toward!